Majority of us feel lonely, sad and depressed at different times of our life and it is a normal feeling. It is a way of our human body to normally react to the struggles of life, to some indisputable loss or to hurt self-esteem. However, when such feelings tend to get overwhelming, lead to some kind of physical symptoms or last for an extended time period, they can keep you from enjoying an active and normal life. This is when you should seek immediate medical help so that things don’t soar out of control.
You can start off with your regular doctor as that’s the best place to start. They are the ones who can conduct the depression test or take the e-counseling.com/depression-quiz/ to check whether or not you’re suffering from depression. Depression, if left untreated can lead to suicidal thoughts. Here are few of the common symptoms that will prompt you that you’re suffering from depression.
- Trouble in remembering minute details, in focusing and in making decisions
- Feelings of worthlessness, guilt and helplessness
- Hopelessness and negative attitude towards life
- Too much of sleep or insomnia
- Loss of interest in things which were pleasurable, even in sex
- Loss of appetite or overeating
- Headaches, pains, aches or cramps which don’t go away
- Feelings of emptiness
- Digestive issues
- Suicidal thoughts leading to suicidal attempts
How is depression diagnosed?
Apart from taking the depression quiz mentioned above, doctors can also take a depression test which they can use to check if you’re suffering from this silent disease. This usually starts with a physical exam or a thorough history. The few things your doctor will want to know are:
- When was the first time you felt the symptoms
- How long they lasted
- How much severe they were
- Whether mental illness and depression is hereditary
- Whether you have a history of alcohol abuse and drugs
What kind of treatment is suggested?
In case the doctor rules out any physical cause for the symptoms, he might begin a treatment or refer you to some other health professional. The therapist will determine the best possible treatment and medicines might include antidepressants. Counselors can also use psychotherapy in order to cure the symptoms of depression.
It is vital to understand that whether or not you’re suffering from depression or some other kind of grief or sadness. Get it treated as soon as possible and bid goodbye to mental health issues.